Weight Loss Nutriceuticals
Body Purifier- This Nutriceutical comes from Herbalogica that sells only to physicians. It contains a powerful blend of synergistic herbs that have each been shown to assist the liver in its major function of detoxification, through use of Phase I and Phase II. This, combined with our special detoxification diet, will help reduce the generalized inflammatory process associated with excess adipose tissue.
Calorie Control Weight Management Formula- This is produced by one of the oldest and leading companies in the field of weight management, Life Extension Foundation. In response to mounting evidence that age-associated fat accumulation results from the loss of metabolic capacity to utilize ingested calories, this powdered drink mix has been formulated with these four key ingredients each individually shown to promote weight loss:
- LuraLean® (propolmannan) – A fiber that retains large quantities of fluids, increasing in bulk in the stomach to help reduce calorie consumption by suppressing the appetite. It also binds to bile acids in the small intestine and helps transport them out of the body, facilitating digestion and assimilation of dietary fat, while improving elimination of fat soluble toxins produced in the liver. Propolmannan also slows emptying of ingested food into the small intestine, reducing glucose levels in the bloodstream; thereby reducing insulin levels and the accompanying fat storage associated with increased insulin. LuraLean® works better than other fibers because its enzymes have been removed, sparing it from degradation in the digestive tract. 1-6 LuraLean® forms a stable viscous barrier at the intestinal epithelial border to help impede calorie absorption. In placebo-controlled studies, LuraLean® induced loss of up to 7.92 pounds on average in 8 weeks along with significant reductions in fasting lipid and post-meal glucose/insulin levels. 7,8
- White Kidney Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) – Inhibits the digestive enzyme amylase that breaks down carbohydrates into the simple sugar to be absorbed glucose. Rapid spikes in blood glucose induces an insulin response as noted above. Phaseolus vulgaris has produced an average weight loss of 6.5 pounds in 30 days accompanied by abdominal fat reductions. 9-11
- Irvingia gabonensis –This African mango extract exhibits multiple targets for its actions. It has amylase digestive enzyme inhibiting properties, like white kidney bean. 12 It also favorably regulates Leptin to decrease appetite and facilitate triglyceride removal from fat cells, regulates Adiponectin to facilitate insulin sensitivity, 13 and Glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase to inhibit glucose from converting to triglyceride fat in adipocytes. (14) Research studies with Irvingia have demonstrated remarkable weight loss averaging 20 pounds in 10 weeks in placebo-controlled trials. 13
- Green Tea Phytosome – A natural substance that increases resting metabolic rate 15 and helps impede the lipase enzyme used to facilitate dietary fat breakdown. This proprietary green tea phytosome has been shown to be more absorbable than conventional green tea. It induced an average 30.1 pounds of weight loss in 90 days when combined with a reduced calorie diet.16
- Eur J Pharmaceut Biopharmaceut. 2009;72:453-62.
- Agr Biol Chem. 1975;39(2):301-12.
- U.S. Patent 3,856,945
- U.S. Patent 3,928,322
- U.S. Patent 3,973,008
- U.S. Patent 3,767,424
- Int J Obes. 1984;8(4):289-93.
- Curr Ther Res. 1989 Nov;46(5):908-12.
- Altern Med Rev. 2004 Mar;9(1):63-9.
- Altern Ther Health Med. 2007 Jul-Aug;13(4):32-7.
- Int J Med Sci. 2007 Jan 24;4(1):45-52.
- Ann Nutr Metab. 1993; 37(1):14-23.
- Lipids Health Dis. 2009 Mar 2;8:7.
- Lipids Health Dis. 2008 Mar 31;7:12.
- Physiol Behav. 2010 Apr 26;100(1):42-6.
- Integr Nutr. 2008;11(2):1-14.
ProtoClear- From Protocol, another physician only company. It contains numerous ingredients shown to assist in liver detoxification processes, critical to weight loss. It complements Body Purifier, with addition of critical amino acids, optimal protein levels to promote building of lean body mass, potent antioxidants and nutrients to increase mitochondrial function. It contains a balanced formula of essential nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to protect against nutritional deficiencies that could adversely affect your metabolism. It contains fiber to increase bulk and decrease appetite. It is one of the few products containing an adequate concentration of Modified Citrus Pectin, which possesses the unique property of being able to bind or “Chelate” toxic elements such as mercury and eliminate them from the body.
Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ)- Mitochondria are the cellular energy generators that supply virtually all the power for your body. As we age, their number and efficiency decrease3-9, therefore your ability to produce energy and your metabolic rate decreases, so fat accumulates. Energy-intensive organs like the heart and brain contain the highest number of mitochondria per cell. Until recently, no practical way of increasing mitochondria existed. PQQ offers a viable alternative.
The enormous amount of energy generated within the mitochondria exposes them to constant free radical attack because the very process of producing energy requires the transfer of free-radical electrons. This increases oxidative damage, resulting in mitochondrial decay, a hallmark of aging. PQQ protects and augments delicate mitochondrial structures to promote youthful cellular function in three distinct ways:
- Antioxidant power. Like CoQ10, PQQ is a highly potent antioxidant. Its extraordinary molecular stability enables it to facilitate thousands of biochemical reactions in the mitochondria without breaking down, for maximum antioxidant and bioenergetic support.1
- Favorably modulates gene expression. PQQ activates genes that promote formation of new mitochondria (2)—and beneficially interacts with genes directly involved in mitochondrial health, supporting healthy body weight, normal fat and sugar metabolism, and youthful cellular proliferation.14
- Mitochondrial defense. Mitochondria possess their own DNA, distinct from the DNA contained in the nucleus but mitochondrial DNA is relatively unprotected. PQQ’s antioxidant potency and favorable gene expression profile act to protect mitochondrial DNA.
PQQ is an essential nutrient, meaning that your body cannot make it on its own. Research shows PQQ’s unique nutritional profile supports heart health and cognitive function—alone and in combination with CoQ10. 10-11 When taken in combination with CoQ10, just 20 mg per day of PQQ has been shown to promote memory, attention, and cognition in older individuals.13
BioPQQTM from Life Extension is the highest quality PQQ available.
- Alt Med Rev. 2009; 14(3):268-77.
- J Biol Chem. 2010. Jan 1;285:142-152.
- Biochimie. 1999 Dec;81(12):1131-2.
- Lancet. 1989 Mar 25;1(8639):642-5.
- Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010 Jul 7.
- Age (Dordr). 2010 Mar 20.
- Ageing Res Rev. 2010 Jun 25.
- Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010 Jun 25.
- Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei). 2001 May;64(5):259-70.
- Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2004 Nov;18(6):421-31.
- J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Jun;11(2):119-28.
- Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Nov 16;363(2):257-62.
- FOOD Style. 2009;21:13(7)50-3. [Tokyo].
- Entrez Gene: PARGC1A peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma, coactivator 1 alpha [ Homo sapiens ] GeneID: 10891.
AdipoStat- By analysis of over 1,000 plant extracts,1 researchers identified two species that target adipocytes: Sphaeranthus indicus flower and the mangosteen fruit (Garcinia mangostana). Optimal results were shown in studies when these two plant extracts were combined.
AdipoStat functions via the following mechanisms to support healthy body weight:2
- Targets adipocyte creation.
- Impedes adipocyte growth.
- Induces fat in adipocytes to break down.
In recent research, 30 adults with difficulty maintaining healthy body weight ingested 800 milligrams per day of AdipoStat ate 2,000 calories per day diet and walked 30 minutes five days a week. Their results were compared to an equal size group who did everything but consumed a placebo rather than the AdipoStat.3 After eight weeks, the AdipoStat group:
- Lost 4.05 inches of belly fat—2.0 times that lost by the placebo group.
- Reduced their body mass index (BMI) by 2.05 units, 3.9 times that of the placebo group.
- Lost 11.4 pounds of total body weight, 3.7 times over the placebo group.
- Had a significant reduction in the waist-to-hip ratio, indicating they experienced abdominal fat loss.
- Exhibited favorably elevated levels of a hormone called adiponectin, which signals fat cells to break down and how often new ones are created. 4
- A second human clinical trial yielded similar results.2
- Available at: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-05-13-obesity-usat_x.htm . Accessed April 29, 2011.
- Results based on initial analyses of unpublished research data.
- FASEB J. April 2011; 25:(Meeting Abstract Supplement) 601.9. Presented at Experimental Biology 2011, Washington, DC. April 10, 2011. Program No. 601.9, Poster No. A278.
- J Mol Med. 2002 Nov;80(11):696-702
Forskolin- Produced by the Indian Coleus plant (Coleus forskohlii) is commonly used to raise levels of cyclic AMP. It resensitizes cell receptors by activating the enzyme adenylyl cyclase and increasing the intracellular levels of cAMP, an important signal carrier necessary for the proper biological response of cells to hormones and other extracellular signals. It is required for cell communication in the hypothalamus/pituitary gland axis and for the feedback control of hormones. Clinical studies have examined forskolin as a weight loss aid. One has been subject to peer-review and published. It showed forskolin’s role in significantly increasing lean mass, bone mass, and testosterone in overweight men.1
- Michael P. Godard, Brad A. Johnson, Scott R. Richmond (August 2005) “Body Composition and Hormonal Adaptations Associated with Forskolin Consumption in Overweight and Obese Men”, Obesity Research Vol. 13 No. 8